Wednesday 28 December 2011

Peppa Pig episode about casting!



As a reward for opening his mouth ready for teeth cleaning, J gets stickers**. Every 10 stickers, he gets a "treat". His latest treat was the Peppa Pig and Potato City DVD. It is a work of genius - very, very funny for adults and a great cast (eg Brian Blessed as Daddy Pig).

**Just as an aside, I wanted to mention that he has been putting the animal stickers in pairs on the sheet- eg with the two chameleons talking to each other, the two elephants next to each other. Yesterday, the parrot he'd chosen didn't have a "mate", so I suggested he might be friends with the tiger - and J carefully placed them so they were kissing. Ahhhhhh....

Tonight, there was a Peppa Pig episode called "Hospital". I read out the name of the episode to J and immediately he pulled at his cast straps - he instantly knew the link between the word hospital and casting***.

***Another aside (I think it's how my brain is working tonight) - I was talking about alarms ("timer" type alarms) today and J immediately walked to the hallway and showed me the smoke alarm. He's only once seen me test it and tell him it was a smoke alarm and that was a while back. What a memory!!! I am astonished at how much he understands and remembers.

Anyway - we start watching this episode and it turns out that Danny Dog has broken his leg and it's in a CAST. Great piece of reinforcing - he can hear them all saying about how it's helping mend Danny's leg. I talked about it afterwards and how the doctors are helping his back to get better with casts, and in a similar way the doctors in Peppa Pig helped Danny's leg get better with a cast. J pointed to his leg- he understood what had been going on.

I know he's taking it all in - he shows us all the time how he's completely on the ball and following what's going on.

I bet the makers of Peppa Pig didn't have infantile scoliosis in mind when making that episode, but it was good to see something so relevant to J's experiences in one of his favourite programmes.

Correction: More knowledgeable Peppa Pig fans have pointed out to me at least 2 errors in my post above. 1) It is Pedro Pony who breaks his leg
2) Brian Blessed is the voice for Grampy Rabbit
I promise to watch more closely in future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment