Monday 19 May 2014

hello again!

Such a lot has happened since the last post- new camera (hard to download photos!), new job, new baby (J has a baby brother!), moving house...

But I was determined to write before tomorrow's appointment.

We are hoping tomorrow will be the end of treatment. Just x-rays and monitoring from now on... we hope!!

J has become very aware of his brace over the last 6 or so months and is good at expressing his feelings ( he HATES it! He hates not being able to bend. He says he hated not having proper baths when he was in cast- yet up until recently he seemed v accepting of it all).

I hate the smell of the brace- the leather straps reek of urine and no matter how much febreze I use I can't disguise it. J's nappy often leaks at night and his vest and brace are soaked. We tried pullups and 2 nappies, but to no avail.

What gives me hope about tomorrow is that there seemed to be improvement in the curves at the last appt. We didn't even get seen by the consultant,  though I managed a quick chat with him in the corridor- he was delighted with progress. And we were told the next appt might be when we finish bracing.

I ought to write several blogs to cover everything I want to say.I hope to blog more soon and really must post photos :-)

One thing I wanted to mention was that J started physio October 2013.She said he was v v v stiff and did lots of work on that. She explained his hamstrings were so tight, it would hurt to stand on one leg and kick a ball. So that would explain his behaviour at football (used to use the skittles and hit the ball not kick).He is so flexible now that he did a forward roll at dance last week!!!!!

Why did no-one suggest physio from the word go? It was his preschool who suggested it after 2.5 years if treatment... My recommendation to any parent of a child with infantile scoliosis in cast is to get physio! I have seen queries raised by parents about wondering whether physio would help the curves. My view is different- it actually should be seen as a way to improve / maintain flexibility in the rest of the body.

Big day tomorrow,  so must get to bed.

I promise I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow!

Keep all your fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment