Thursday 29 March 2012

Deep breath - hairwashing (help!)

Right.

Deep breath.

Sometime very soon I need to tackle hairwashing.

I have deliberately avoided this until now, but the weather has been very hot (well, for March it has) and J is sweating in his heavy-weight cast.

I've investigated the trays that the occupational therapist mentioned:




I can't see how J is going to cope with any of those. It's like wrestling an alligator (a very strong one at that!) to clean teeth and he loathes lying on his back now (he finds it hard to get up with the new cast, though he's getting better).

He was never keen even in the bath because of the risk of water getting in his eyes. And yes, we do have a special jug that means that when he holds still it's unlikely to go in his eyes. Sometimes it was just easier to get it over and done with quickly with lots of water (including in his face) and then dry off the hair and tears at the same time.

If he co-operates then any of the above might work. But if not ("NOOOOOOOOOO"!!!!) then I may as well hold him upside down and dunk him in the bath. Yes I am kidding, before you start getting worried!

I guess the key is distraction, distraction, distraction...

Wish me luck! (I'll report back!)

No comments:

Post a Comment