Tuesday 25 October 2011

Cast number 9

We had a very full and wonderful weekend (did LOADS and J was very smiley and happy). If I have time I have some nice photos and comments I'd like to write up.

However, nights have been a bit rough (we've been up a fair bit eg 3pm, 4pm, 5-5.30pm) and J was very tired yesterday (Monday) so the bathtime ended in tears. The main reasons he got upset were 1) he's v tired, 2) I wouldn't let him have the hairdryer in the bath (!!) and 3) I insisted on washing his hair (once every 2 weeks is not exactly frequent as it is). Felt a shame though - I look forward to our fortnightly bath so much and it ended with him wailing to get out...

Apart from that, nothing terribly different from other cast removals/castings.

He was very upset about 1am this morning for quite a while and I ended up taking him into bed with me (something I haven't done in a long time). Nice to get extra cuddles with a squishy baby. Such a different thing to hug a squishy baby from a hard cast. I don't notice it usually - I've got used to just stroking his head rather than rubbing his back when he's upset - but feeling the contrast when the cast comes off is... well, it's hard to put it into words. We've had nearly 6 months of casting now. A third of J's life. With a hard non-squishy baby...

All I can say is that I really really really miss hugging my squishy baby...

The sensible parent part of me knows that it's for the greater good. The rest of me misses it like mad.

He was very tired when we got up (about 6.45) and it made the casting quite difficult as he would NOT stay still.

He was offered the choice of purple or red cast (I showed him the packets) and he pointed to red. No idea whether he understood that he could have a purple one if he wanted it - but he's usually fairly good at making choices like that (eg with his wellies, he was adamant he wanted George pig ones even though at that stage he'd never seen the TV show) so you just have to accept that's what he's "chosen".

The plasterer said he had 3 other little boys coming that morning for similar castings! That number surprised me. We don't see anyone else like J when we're there. Plenty of older people with crutches, wheelchairs, bent over backs etc but no little boys.

The plasterer told us that our consultant had written to Oxford about getting a second opinion and he'd seen the letter but when I asked to see the letter I wasn't allowed. I just rang the consultant's secretary to ask for a copy and she said it wasn't Trust policy to let patients see correspondence but she said she would ask Mr M whether I could have a copy. I think Mr M said he'd send a copy to my GP when we last saw him - I need to check with her as well.

The plasterer was sympathising about the lack of progress and saying it's up to me if I choose to go elsewhere- but choose is a difficult word. Getting information about J's treatment or scoliosis is like pulling teeth! Actually, pulling teeth is quite easy in comparison. Painful but quick. I need a better analogy. What's painful and takes a LOOOONG time??

There are posters up at the hospital saying they'll be introducing car parking charges from November. Such a pain. It's currently costing at least £12 in petrol each time we go (60+ mile round trip - I think my maths is right?) and since it's fortnightly that soon adds up. I mentioned it to the kitchen staff and they rolled their eyes and groaned - apparently they will have to pay a flat staff rate (ie the same amount as the consultants). That sounds grossly unfair! I know that it's standard for hospitals to charge for parking these days- the local one is horrendously expensive - but with such frequent visits, some of them for very long afternoons (and I have no control over timings - we just sit and wait), it's going to be quite expensive.

After the casting J was keen to get to the cafe and very much enjoyed his breakfast of sausage, beans and mushrooms. He had a good nap on the way to the nursery too.





No comments:

Post a Comment