Monday 12 March 2012

New bathing techniques #1

There are a number of things where we need to find new ways to do them - including giving J a bath and washing his hair. Up until now I have relied on the fortnightly baths but from 21 March for the next couple of years, it will only be possible to bathe J every 3 months. So last night I decided to try a new bathing technique. He was also quite smelly last night which speeded up the decision to try experimenting!

I've decided to leave the current cast on until later this week and give him a few days off before we go to the hospital for the new treatment. We can't leave it too long, but it will be nice to have some time. I'm thinking perhaps of taking him to a fun pool with flumes etc on Friday and maybe swimming over the weekend too.

J was delighted at the word 'bath', pulled at his straps and ran to the kitchen drawer to get the scissors (in fact they are now deliberately kept elsewhere but I don't think he has realised that!). I explained it was a "mini-bath" and filled up a washing up bowl. He was a bit uncertain at first (he sat on my lap but refused to put his feet in the water). Once we'd worked out that the step was the right height for him to sit on, he was ok. After a few minutes he started to enjoy it and splashed a little with his feet. When I handed him the body wash (gel), he cleaned his knees and belly button. Several times :-) I can confirm that his belly button is VERY clean now.







I meant to add that we finished off with a quick rinse in the shower (he had done a wee in the washing up bowl, so I wanted to get him properly clean!). That didn't go well. J wanted the bath mat because it was slippy and then he wanted to sit down. But all in all, he enjoyed the experience and he is definitely cleaner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment