Tuesday 20 March 2012

Tomorrow is the big day!

So we're here at last. Just a few hours away from J getting his first cast applied under GA on a frame (not exactly Mehta, but similar).

Thank you to all who have contacted me with your thoughts and good wishes - they are very much appreciated.

We have been very busy over the last few days (after taking J's cast off on Friday, I've wanted to make the most of everything we won't be able to do for a long time):
  • We swam at the local pool where there are extra fun features eg mini fountains, rapids, slides etc. J was a little wary for the first 5 minutes (who wouldn't be with all the noise and strange things to look at) but was so happy and relaxed after a short while. He loved sitting on or by the mini fountains and cascades. 
  • We went to Thomasland on Monday (Drayton Manor theme park). Fantastic day out. He was so adventurous too - going on the rides that went up high (eg the helicopter and bus) as well as the standard train ride type. There's also a zoo there and he was delighted when the lizards and monitors flicked their tongues (one of his favourite parts of Peppa Pig is where Lulu the lizard sticks out her very long tongue - J imitates it every time). I would post photos, but I need some sleep! Definitely would love to go back again (and thanks to Tescos Clubcard it only cost £10 to get in!) Of course we can go even with J in cast - but it was just a lovely treat for us all and important to share that together before the big casting.  
  • Lots of baths and playing in sand (J has taken to lying down in the sand and "swimming"! Of course that is strictly forbidden in cast, so it was great to encourage him to make the most of it)
I haven't known how much to tell J about what's going to happen. He's 22 months and lives very much in the present. But he is so aware of what's happening too. In the end I did say tonight that we're going to the hospital tomorrow and he'll get a new type of cast - with a hole in the tummy where I can tickle him (and we then did lots of tickling). I did say it'll be an early start and that we'd meet Grandad later tomorrow. I haven't used the hospital books we have (eg Topsy and Tim) because Tim looked so unhappy in so many of the pictures. I don't want him to pick up any negative stuff. It's ok if he feels negative tomorrow about something and I can deal with that, but there's no point in giving the impression that that's what he will feel.

I did get out the doctor's set tonight and we watched the 'Maisy dressing up as a doctor'episode. We got out all the bits (eg thermometer or stethoscope) as she did. J was moderately interested (not overly so).

What may be hard is:
1. Getting up so early! I'll be in "entertainer mode" for the day which is tiring anyway (though it definitely helps to keep our spirits up). Hopefully he'll be groggy tomorrow night and sleep well so I can collapse and catch up... or is that wishful thinking??
2. J having to fast from now till the op. However, he ate a HUGE amount tonight (a whole chicken thigh with lots of pasta in pesto and veg; blueberries and icecream; a large yoghurt; a beaker of milk) so he shouldn't be too hungry when we set off at 5.30am!
3. What do I do to distract myself during the 3 hours when he's under GA/away? I'm taking a book, but may also take a couple of photo albums that need labelling - it's a good thing to get done and is pretty mindless but satisfying.
4. Getting him comfortable sitting in the carseat or lying in bed. I don't know how it'll feel to have this huge weight wrapped round him and rubbing in new places.

Right. I need to pop the last few things in the car ready for tomorrow and then it's time for bed.

Goodnight little man. Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment