Monday 27 June 2011

I'll laugh one day

Since I started back at work, I have had one thing after another. I will laugh one day, but it has to be said the past 6 weeks have been rather tiring! This is not exactly relevant to J's scoliosis, but just for the record:

  • Scoliosis
    • Starting at the beginning of May with the appt with the local consultant who referred us. Then there was the anxiety of the prospect of a long waiting list and the decision to go private, followed by beginning treatment with casts.
  • The kitchen
    • There was a serious leak from the flat upstairs and much of the kitchen needed replacing/repainting (tiles, units, worksurfaces, floor, ceiling, walls). So the kitchen needed emptying and items replacing before and after work. For day after day. Including one Sunday (when we microwaved lunch in the lounge).
  • The hot water tank
    • This was particularly fun. It split while I was out a couple of weeks ago and I came home to huge quantities of water in the hall cupboard and hall. As the hall cupboard was full of stuff from the kitchen and there is a very inquisitive toddler on the loose, it created a bit of a problem as to where to store/dry out everything safely. The hot water is turned off now. At some stage I'll get someone in to repair/replace it!
  • The lounge window
    • Water again. When it rains, there is now water coming in. Depending on how much it rains, there can be a LOT of water coming in. 
  • The garage roof
    • Water again (you see a theme?). And because the garages are in a block, it depends on other people as to when the roof can be repaired. 
  • The car
    • This is a saga. I will spare you the graphic details. Basically: someone ran into the car when I was parked on Boxing Day 2010. It was repaired under insurance but they welded near it and it was covered in little bits of metal which started going rusty (industrial fallout). It has taken 6 months and huge amounts of effort to get Churchill to get it sorted. They kept sending letters asking whether I wanted to complain! The time when it finally went to the garage coincided with J's first cast - so sorting the courtesy car drop-off and pick up was more complicated than it should have been.     
  • The washing machine
    • This has broken down twice (meaning we were without a washing machine for 3 or 4 days on 2 occasions) since I went back to work. It didn't break down while I was on maternity leave. Oh no.   
  • Sleep
    • J was never the best sleeper and things have got better. The trouble is, although he's only up once or twice a night now, I haven't been able to get back to sleep if he's up after 3am. And 3 hours sleep split into bits is not enough! I shouldn't complain though - I could be getting 2.5 hours like others I know (I don't know how you do it C!).
I know most of them are not big things. But taken together, they've made life "interesting".

People ask how the return to work has been. Busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment